Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Fisher King (1991)



I remember seeing Dead Poets Society when I was about ten years old and thinking it was a great film, and then sometime shortly after that deciding that I had had enough of Robin Williams. But looking back I can't quite put my finger on what it was exactly. Maybe it was Hook or Mrs. Doubtfire that was the last straw, but I don't think I ever watched more than 10 minutes of either. Whatever it was, it also happened with Steve Martin and Billy Crystal. Anyway, The Fisher King is a good film, but despite Terry Gilliam's uniquely weird perspective on some of his favorite subjects (knights, urban decay, mental illness) there are few surprises and it feels overly long and contrived at times. Gilliam is at his best when his stuff is completely unpredictable. Sometimes it becomes frustratingly incoherent but I still think he's one of the most interesting directors around.
IMDB

No comments: