Sunday, August 9, 2009

Death at a Funeral (2007)



I've learned to take it with a grain of salt when people tell me that they nearly died laughing while watching this or that film. Death at a Funeral has a few good jokes that are introduced early on and then get beaten to death for the rest of the running time. Director Frank Oz is certainly no lightweight, but, although I don't necessarily believe that it's inevitable for any director to ever be "past his prime", I kind of feel like he is way past his prime. Many people would submit the "poo" scene as evidence that this is one of the funniest movies of all-time. This scene didn't have much of an effect on me, not because I found it disgusting, but because it didn't feel original or clever in the slightest. It was a modified version of so many things that have come before it, most notably certain scenes from There's Something About Mary. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the only people who are writing fresh poo jokes these days are the "South Park" guys. The other problem I had with the film is that it just becomes exhausting watching everyone stall for time during the funeral over and over while trying to deal with ridiculous situations behind closed doors. It might work for a sitcom, but not for a 90-minute feature.
IMDB

No comments: