Saturday, June 7, 2008

Boxing Helena (1993)



I wouldn't put Boxing Helena in the "so bad it's good" category, but it definitely has the feel of a late-night Cinemax skin-flick that might easily suck you in if you have nothing better to do. Over the years it's been recommended to me by various people and is usually described as a story about a guy who cuts off a girl's arms and legs and keeps her prisoner in his house, which is a little misleading. We don't actually get to see any cutting and there is nothing gruesome in the film at all. I think the screenplay is probably a decent one but a lot of the cinematography and editing is laughable and Julian Sands' overacting is often excruciating. Sherilyn Fenn is decent in this but I admit I'm biased because I loved her Audrey from Twin Peaks. Art Garfunkel is probably the best actor in this film, which, I should add, was directed by one of David Lynch's children.
IMDB

No comments: