Sunday, July 20, 2008

Wordplay (2006)



You might guess that crossword puzzles and the people who create and obsess over them wouldn't make for intriguing documentary film subjects, and for the most part you'd be right. By the end of it I definitely felt like taking a look at a crossword puzzle, if not actually spending many frustrating hours trying to finish one, but through most of the film I was sort of hoping that Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds would show up and scare them all away. Although I respect the kind of mind that it takes to consistently finish the puzzles in astoundingly short periods of time, these people just aren't quite interesting enough to warrant an entire movie. Not so for the young people who were profiled in the documentary Spellbound. Those kids had me in stitches and tears and that film should be required viewing for all parents and teachers. This one has its cute moments but I would call it optional even for crossword aficionados.
IMDB

No comments: