Friday, August 8, 2008

Stand and Deliver (1988)



I had a very deep fondness for this film even before I became a high school math teacher, and even before I ever took a calculus class. The Hollywood clichés and the "reach for the stars" stuff may be overkill at times, but it has many truly great performances. I probably have more respect for Edward James Olmos for what he does with this character than I do for the real Jaime Escalante for what he accomplished (which was moving mountains) with those kids so many years ago. But it could also be because he delivers one of the funniest lines in all of cinema, which I won't spoil here, to Andy Garcia as one of the Educational Testing Service agents who accuse his students of cheating. And today the only real problem with this movie is that it prevents me from taking Olmos seriously on the new Battlestar Galactica, which people seem to like.
IMDB

No comments: